Ahhh! It’s that time of year again when the weather warms up, people are outside more, the birds start chirping and the grass gets greener….! Hopefully soon anyway. This is my favorite time of year. When all of the newly engaged couples start contacting me for engagement photos and they start looking for wedding photographers. Ahh, love is in the air. Super excited for this year, I have several weddings booked already and I am hopeful to get several more.
So here’s a couple of things I want you be aware of when looking for your photographer. Make sure you find someone that meets several of YOUR criteria when looking around.
- Make sure that your personalities fit together. Just because you contacted a photographer and even met with them. Doesn’t mean that they are the right fit for you. These are your most precious memories that they are dealing with. If you are not comfortable with them then it will show in the photos.
- Find out how long their turn-around-time is. This could be very important, depending on if there is a holiday or an important event coming up and you want to give some of the photos as gifts. You want someone that will meet your time frame.
- Can they handle stressful situations. Sometimes during a wedding a situation will arise, how are they going to handle this disruption to the timeline…
- What if they get sick… Do they have someone that could cover them if something should happen and they are unable to make your special day…
- Ok, so you have a photographer in mind and you see their packages and you know what you want. Customer service is not on the package, Does this photographer have customer service skills, are they willing to deliver beyond the package…
- And lastly, what type of editing will they do to the photos? This is HUGE, because if you have a photo of the entire wedding party and someone’s eyes are closed, will they Photoshop different eyes on them? You need to know the extent of the editing that they will do before you hire them.
- Most importantly COST. You want something FAST, CHEAP, and GREAT QUALITY. As the old adage goes, you can pick two of those. What is FAST and CHEAP is not always GREAT QUALITY. Please remember this.
This is YOUR wedding day, and there are so many important decisions that you have to make. Make sure you consider all options and remember in 50 years when you look back on your day, what do you want to remember most from it? The cost, the quality of the photos, the lack of photos, or that you took your time and picked the best photographer for you and your fiancée and received the best quality photographs of a memory that could never be duplicated.