Congratulations on your engagement! Now what?! Now, you get to plan the most beautiful wedding you have ever dreamed of. All of those ideas you had when you were little about your father (figure) walking you down the aisle and not a dry eye in the seat. And all of that costs money… How much?! Well according to Google the average wedding costs $26,645. So, here are some tips on how to save some dough.
- Think about the future first. On your 10th, 20th or even 50th wedding anniversary. What will you miss the most, that special cake you didn’t get, the garter you didn’t keep, the family member you are fighting with that you didn’t invite, not having that special dinner you really wanted?? More than likely it will be not getting a wedding photographer. You think ‘Hey we can have Uncle Bob photograph the wedding and use those photos for the rest of our lives. Only to discover, Uncle Bob doesn’t know how to pose you so you look flattering, or how to edit those photos, and keeps catching you with your eyes closed. Some mistakes are better left unlearned.
- Find out who is willing to help with the cost first. Sometimes you have family members that will help out with the cost and that ‘will be your wedding present’.
- Make sure you know how much total you will have to spend.
- MAKE A LIST of the most important items that are MUST HAVES. And the things that less important. If having expensive silverware is must have, then you will have to cut costs somewhere else.
- Don’t plan your wedding to please other people and Don’t let other people try to please themselves with YOUR wedding. It happens all too often. There are usually hard feelings somewhere at some point of the planning process. Remember this is YOUR day, and YOU and your FIANCEE’s day.
Finally, remember even as crazy as it may get on your special day. This day was meant to be remembered in a good way. Push the little insignificant details out of the way and enjoy finding your soul-mate and hold onto your Happily Ever After!